The Shelby County Sheriff’s Workplace launched data Friday on the way it stated it has dealt with the COVID-19 pandemic at detention services within the space.
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The Shelby County Sheriff’s Workplace released information Friday on the way it stated it has dealt with the COVID-19 pandemic at detention services within the space.
Within the statement posted to social media, the sheriff stated “you will need to keep in mind that these detainees are all pre-trial” and that the sheriff’s workplace can’t mandate vaccines for detainees.
Sheriff Floyd Bonner stated within the launch they’d common conferences with the county well being division and the inmate well being supplier to remain up-to-date with CDC and WHO steering.
He stated often these testing constructive are new detainees, and as of Friday morning, there was just one constructive case in any respect three services.
The sheriff stated within the launch that he couldn’t touch upon pending litigation, however talked about a case that he stated courtroom paperwork would present was settled earlier this yr. He stated there stays disagreement and that’s what is on enchantment.
Cleansing and air techniques
- The sheriff stated the division invested in deep-cleaning tools for the jails so they’d not depend on contracting suppliers recurrently. He stated the cleansing is carried out recurrently and surfaces in frequent areas are cleaned hourly.
- A brand new system was bought to “improve the air” on the fundamental jail. The sheriff stated it value greater than $1 million.
How detainees are dealt with
- Detainees take a well being questionnaire and temperature test at consumption, and are giving details about COVID-19 and vaccinations if they want.
- New detainees with out signs are held in quarantine for 14 days and screened by medical personnel earlier than coming into the overall inhabitants.
- The sheriff stated are supplied hand cleaning soap and aren’t penalized for having an excessive amount of. There are additionally paper towels, cleansing merchandise, and hand sanitizer in every housing unit.
- Detainees get at the very least two material masks every, that are laundered recurrently. Everybody should put on masks. The sheriff stated stitching machines had been bought so masks may be made as wanted.
- Social distancing is maintained when doable. Detainees get non-contact recreation day by day.
- Vaccinations are provided weekly. The sheriff stated inmates are given $20 for his or her belief accounts when vaccinated, and typically entered into different drawings for extra account cash and even the Metropolis-sponsored drawing for a car. In addition they had a pizza get together for the housing unit with essentially the most vaccinations.
- The sheriff stated when households or attorneys deliver particular issues a couple of detainee, they “promptly examine and reply.” The sheriff stated they can’t reply to “imprecise allegations” with out particular data.
Employees and Staff
- Employees and distributors have a day by day well being questionnaire and temperature test earlier than coming into.
- The sheriff stated they’ve labored to extend staffing, together with rising the beginning wage and providing $5,000 incentives in addition to workers suggestion incentives.
Court docket hearings
- The sheriff stated many courtroom hearings have moved to video appearances, and lodging have been made for non-contact visitation with authorized counsel.
- The sheriff stated judges, the DA and public defenders are working to cut back the jail inhabitants as they’re able to. He stated the group recurrently seems to be at medically weak inmates, these whose circumstances aren’t transferring shortly, and people whose costs make them eligible for decreased bond or fast deposition.
- The sheriff stated training movies on COVID-19 and vaccinations are proven a number of instances every day. Medical professionals make visits to reply questions, and weekly city halls are held to get any questions answered as effectively.
- Posters and data are posted all through the services.
- Bonner stated Challenge Pat from Three-6 Mafia held a motivational seminar, and the Grizzlies supplied a video urging vaccinations.
Sheriff Bonner stated the American Correctional Affiliation, Tennessee Corrections Institute, and Nationwide Fee on Correctional Well being have all beneficial reaccreditation.