The declare: The US navy arrested Hunter Biden at Dulles Worldwide Airport
President Joe Biden’s embattled son continues to be the topic of baseless conspiracy theories on social media.
An Aug. 30 article from a web site known as Actual Uncooked Information says the U.S. navy arrested Hunter Biden at Washington Dulles Worldwide Airport on Monday morning. He was coming back from Dubai with “two underage feminine companions” and “a number of kilograms of ‘crack-cocaine,'” the article claims.
“In line with sources conversant in the arrest, U.S. Customs and Immigration Companies detained Hunter Biden and mates moments after that they had claimed baggage at Dulles Worldwide Airport in Washington, D.C.,” wrote Michael Baxter, owner of Real Raw News.
The article amassed greater than 1,200 shares on Fb inside three days, in keeping with CrowdTangle, a social media insights instrument. It has additionally inspired social media posts that regurgitate its claims.
Biden has attracted widespread scrutiny for his taxes and enterprise dealings abroad, including serving on the board of a Ukrainian vitality firm whereas his father was vice chairman. He has also been open about his drug and alcohol habit.
However the article is bogus.
There isn’t any proof Hunter Biden has been arrested. Actual Uncooked Information has repeatedly revealed false claims concerning the navy arresting high-profile politicians and different public figures. That narrative is said to the baseless QAnon conspiracy idea.
USA TODAY reached out to Baxter for remark.
No proof Hunter Biden was arrested
The arrest of the president’s son at a serious worldwide airport would make headlines around the globe. However USA TODAY might discover no credible media organizations reporting Hunter Biden is in custody.
A disclaimer from Real Raw News says the web site “accommodates humor, parody, and satire.” However nothing on the article about Hunter Biden signifies it is satirical.
Actual Uncooked Information has beforehand revealed made-up tales about public figures getting arrested.
USA TODAY has debunked claims that Microsoft co-founder Invoice Gates was taken into custody on youngster intercourse trafficking expenses, that Navy SEALs arrested former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and that U.S. Special Forces arrested Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif. Actual Uncooked Information has additionally falsely claimed Clinton was hanged at Guantanamo Bay and Supreme Courtroom Justice Amy Coney Barrett was put under house arrest.
These hoaxes play into the baseless QAnon conspiracy theory, which says former President Donald Trump is secretly combating an underground cabal of satanic, cannibalistic youngster intercourse traffickers whose members embody politicians like Clinton and celebrities like Tom Hanks.
QAnon supporters say that effort will culminate in one thing known as “the storm,” when Trump and the U.S. navy will arrest and execute members of the cabal. Nonetheless, QAnon’s predictions haven’t come true, and its claims have been repeatedly debunked.
USA TODAY might discover no proof that Hunter Biden has been arrested.
Our ranking: False
Primarily based on our analysis, we fee FALSE the declare that the U.S. navy arrested Biden at Dulles. There isn’t any proof that occurred. Actual Uncooked Information has repeatedly revealed false claims about politicians and public figures being arrested by the navy. That narrative performs into the baseless QAnon conspiracy idea, whose predictions have been repeatedly debunked.
Our fact-check sources:
- USA TODAY, Dec. 9, 2020, Hunter Biden’s taxes under investigation by US attorney’s office in Delaware
- USA TODAY, March 31, Hunter Biden says he was ‘smoking crack every 15 minutes’, more jaw-dropping moments from memoir ‘Beautiful Things’
- Actual Uncooked Information, accessed Sept. 2, About Us (archived)
- CrowdTangle, accessed Sept. 2
- USA TODAY, Aug. 6, Fact check: Bill Gates was not arrested by the US military
- USA TODAY, March 8, Fact check: Hillary Clinton was not arrested by Navy SEALs acting on Trump’s order
- USA TODAY, June 17, Fact check: Hillary Clinton was not hanged at Guantanamo Bay
- USA TODAY, June 29, Fact check: Adam Schiff latest politician targeted in QAnon arrest hoax
- USA TODAY, Could 30, Fact check: False claim about Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett
- USA TODAY, Oct. 21, 2020, Fact check: Biden leveraged $1B in aid to Ukraine to oust corrupt prosecutor, not to help his son
- USA TODAY, Aug. 4, QAnon followers distance themselves from the movement’s most bizarre conspiracy theories as they rebrand
- USA TODAY, Sept. 17, 2020, Debunked QAnon conspiracy theories are seeping into mainstream social media. Don’t be fooled.
Thanks for supporting our journalism. You may subscribe to our print edition, ad-free app or electronic newspaper replica here.
Our fact-check work is supported partially by a grant from Fb.